Thursday, October 28, 2010

We're not so rich...

that we can afford to buy cheap. That's an expression we hear sometimes over here. I heard it first from our very dear friend Dima. He was looking sorrowfully at a chopping knife that he'd tried to fix for the umpteenth time- the handle kept coming off. We'd gotten a set of knives that were...less than expensive. Dima is happy with nothing less than quality and perfection. And whatever he does- he does well. Those knives were ditched and replaced by something better.


Later, we were moving from apartment 1 to 2. DeAnn and I and the taxi driver... and one very eager, very helpful, very 'cocker spaniel' friend of the XY variety. Now- we were very VERY grateful for XY's help. But after awhile (possibly after D found her toothbrush on  the bottom of a bunch of stuff in the bathtub. Dear XY Friend had gone into the bathroom at apt 1 and swept everything he saw into an empty pail. When XY and Taxi Driver arrived at apt 2, XY simply dumped the bucket into the tub and went back for another bucket full.) So- D says to me- Please PLEASE take XY and go. Just go. Go somewhere. Go to the-I-don't-know... go to... go to... go the market. Yes- go to the market and get something, anything... something we need.
XY and I left. Found our way over to Big Bazaar clear across town- the one that took nearly 45 min to get to. We need paint, XY says.
We do?
Yes, we do. I'll paint the bathroom for you. It could use some paint.
Ummm.... (think fast, Girl, faster than you ever have- he's tugging at his 'leash' and is heavier and stronger than me by miles and I certainly won't be able to hold him back for long... we've rented this place from a friend of an acquaintance and painting the bathroom doesn't seem the way to get off on the right foot with them)- Ummmm- YouKnowIthinkWeNeedAnElectricTeaKettleWaterBoilerOneThatBoilsTheWaterReallyFastLikeIsReallyCoolToHave. (deep breath) Yes. We Need One Of Those. Look- there they ARE!!! (big smiley face)
Of course- I've never bought one of those...or much else in the household appliance line. Prices here are different than home- everything comes in big numbers because of the 5 to 1 (at the time) exchange rate and math just has never been my thing.
Well, XY says, Get something good. Don't get the most expensive thing...but don't get the cheapest thing either. Get something in the middle.
So we did. And not knowing one thing about good/better/best brands in Europe or about electric water boilers, we picked out this kettle:


The point is- 8 years later, I'm back with this same water kettle. It's been through a few moves since then and is now in Central Ukr... and it's as good as ever.
A hot water kettle is just a water kettle, just a 'thing'. But- I've met a few others- cheap, rotten, drive you nuts water kettles. They last about 6 months and they're shot. And you have to get another one. Whatever we paid for this one 8 years ago- it's turning out to have been quite a good deal.
Life's a lot like that- buy once and buy well. Look for quality and be willing to pay for it. You don't need the flash and glitz (which often goes with the most expensive item on the shelf and is just a disguise for cheap); you don't need the poverty of having to buy again and again and again. The cheap thing becomes the most expensive in the end.

2 comments:

  1. Agreed! Sometimes it can be hard to choke up the cash for the purchase but you know in the long run it will be a good deal. That's what we try to do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was thinking the same thing about my hot water kettle this weekend. I took it along on our camping trip and put it through a workout keeping kids in hot chocolate. I paid a little more for it than I normally would have over two years ago after two others burnt out quickly and I have yet to regret this purchase.

    ReplyDelete