Thursday, October 7, 2010

for the geeks among us

This was on my newsfeed this morning xkcd's Map of Online Communities... and I found it fairly amusing. The Northern Wasteland of Unread Updates. The Sea of Opinions. The Sea of Protocol Confusion. The Sea of Zero (0) Comments. The Bay of Flame. The Bay of Drama. The Charred Wasteland of Abandoned Social Networks. And a host of other interesting places.

5 comments:

  1. haha, that is very interesting! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As an opponent to Face Book, I couldn't help noticing how much bigger it is than spoken word, email, and blogs. Granted, this map was made as a joke, but there is a lot of truth to it also. It is harder to get comments on blogs or replies to emails because ppl prefer to communicate on FB. Sorry for the rant, but FB irritates me. 'Nuff said. BTW, thanks for what you are doing w/your life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah- I was pretty sure you'd like that alleykat!
    Gary- if you look at the link in the large format- at the upper left hand corner- you see that the main pic is actually a small part of a big body of 'land' called 'spoken language' and that there is a larger mass of 'land' above the part called 'facebook' that is called 'email'. They're only representing online communities so spoken word and email don't fall into that category. Blogs, however, are depicted as much smaller than facebook. It's interesting how much a part of a lot of lives facebook has become... and I agree- it is harder to get an audience with blogs since f/b has become so ubiquitous. It has its uses, though... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is great! I should get a blown up version to go on the wall beside my world and US maps. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. amy- if I had a house and a wall- I'd get a copy of it, too! ;)

    ReplyDelete