Know what quince is? I'd heard of it but never seen it until about 9 years ago. It's quite good, really. Bigger than a lot of apples and about a hundred times harder, it's light green or nearly yellow. They are all over the place here. Sharon got a whole bunch the other day- M had a bunch that were fixing to spoil and she didn't have the time or energy to deal with them.
 |
| didn't get a pic of the whole fruit so found a pic here from this site. It's amazingly hard- thought I would break the blade of my paring knife dealing with the little monsters. |
cut them up- chunked them. Put into a kettle with a bit of water. Bring to a boil and then turn down low and let simmer for a long time. Add sugar at the end when all the fruit is soft and well done. Remove from heat and puree.  |
| Quincesauce! It turns a gorgeous pink... and I have no idea why! |
 |
| It sure is yummy! |
So, as it's boiling is it turning pink, or does it turn pink when you add sugar? I wondered if the sugar had an affect on the color.
ReplyDeleteThat looks good! When you said, "Know what quince is," I thought, "Well, YEAH!!! It's FIFTEEN in Spanish!!!" hahaha! ;o)
I didn't know what a quince was until this week. I read the book, Snoring Beauty to the girls and the only one able to wake and convert the sleeping dragon/princess is Prince Quince.I know you're really happy to know that tidbit;-)Back to the real topic, the quicesauce looks beautiful:-)Does it taste like applesauce?
ReplyDeleteInteresting! We had a quince tree for a few years, but ended up taking it out because the fruit was so hard to cut up. And yes, I thought I was going to break my knife too. The sauce does look yummy, thought.
ReplyDeleteJen- you know- I don't know when it turned pink since I didn't do that part of it; I just helped S prepare it... and am now helping to eat it! ;)
ReplyDelete4J's- well Prince Quince was good for something! It tastes a bit like applesauce- sort of. Only tarter. I really like it better.
Anon- S says the easier thing to do with quince is bake them like you do apples and then peel, 'gut' and puree... these had a lot of bad spots, though, so we had to do them this way. ps- who are you? ;)
Oops! I forgot to put my name with my Anon comment. I'm Jane B (twin) in Cambria.
ReplyDeleteJane
See- I'm glad I asked! Jane B! ;)
ReplyDeleteI never knew what a quince looks like and now I do! I love these interesting little tidbits you think to blog about! :)
ReplyDeleteNow you know quince, Jenny! ;)
ReplyDelete