
See that lady there? The one with the 3 kids? (Can you tell she's just adopted those kids? Do they look pretty happy?)
It's all true.
Anyway, that lady...the one named Mary. Yup, her. She was here with her husband... he's around here somewhere, too... hard to find pix of him, though...
Here he is overseeing some meal or other... I mean that's Elaine overseeing the meal but Mr Husband- otherwise known as Eric- he's the one over there on the left looking down there to see if those kids are behaving....
Anyway, E & M- now you know who they are! Well, see Mary, she heard we were making chicken enchiladas for supper the other night so she got the bright idea of making salsa and bringing it over... (no one around here likes salsa... ahhhhh, no... we LOVE it, adore it, admire and all that it, but... never mind- you get the point)- so, we were quick to agree. Yes, Mary, that's a fantastic idea. And it was. And it was fantastic salsa, too, I wanna tell ya. There's still a bit left, although I've done my part to make sure it doesn't spoil or anything...
Now everyone knows that salsa really REALLY goes with chips... dipping chips... TORTILLA chips... which you can't get here... at least I don't know where if you can. Now, being the chip freak that I am, I'd already discovered long ago that you can do
this:
cut up your tortillas into chip-sized bits, heat some oil in a skillet and give them each about 10 seconds per side; remove, drain and salt....
Well the kicker here is Alack and Alas- no tortillas here either (as in taco-shell tortillas- are there any other kind??? don't know)- and while SOME culinary foody-types make their bona-fide own, it's just never been my thing...
but we do have Armenian flat bread- and I don't have a pic of that...and since the camera is in Colin and Elaine's room and since it's not really 'civil hours' anymore and since their light's off and in the interest of staying on somewhat good terms and all... and plus, the house is asleep and I'm the only one up and rustling through the freezer to find the rest just isn't the thing since I do have a camera on my phone (you still with me?)- ok- No pic of the Lavash (which is what Armenian flat bread is called)... but just sort of rewind the above pic to where those brown squares are all a small part of a very large, white, crepe-thin-but-dry-and-floury, oval shaped 'bread' (bearing in mind that tacos are 'bread' too... and if you know lefse, imagine that, only not at all sweet)- ok- cut that stuff up, fry it, salt it... pretty close...
Here you go! May I just say it was delicious! So good that I just devoured a couple (3 or 4 *cough*) pieces of French bread (they're small pieces you know) in order to get a little more salsa...
And guess what?
That salsa got hotter just sitting there in the jar a few days... wow...
Want a quick recipe? Here you go!
at least 5 tomatoes
1 bell pepper
1 head (not clove) garlic
3 hot chili peppers
1 med onion
salt
as much cilantro as you like (the more the better IMHO)
mix all ingredients; put in blender and whizz briefly- you want some chunk left!
mix all ingredients; put in blender and whizz briefly- you want some chunk left!
Now I have to go brush my teeth... again... it was worth it... g'night!
Hi - just want to say 'hi' and hope you are keeping warm. A little in the news about the gas issue so I'm thinking of you. Your chips look good and the salsa! Minnie
ReplyDeleteThinking of you as according to the news the gas is slow coming to you. Hope you are keeping warm! The salsa sounds yummy! Glad to see you didn't let any go to waste :)
ReplyDeleteThinking of you like the others are. :-) Also had to add my agreement on the cilantro! I use it in lotsa stuff. The more the better, definately!!! YUM!
ReplyDeletedefinitely cilantro. we sometimes get just plain ol' picante' and add cilantro..voila! a masterpiece!
ReplyDeleteHi Anita. I enjoyed the pictures of Eric & Mary & their new kidlets. What a happy event you were in on there. Our daughter & her family happened to be visiting in AZ when E&M arrived back home, so got to be a part of the crowd waiting at the airport at something like 11pm New Year's Eve to give them all a big welcome.
ReplyDeleteDeena in CA
(I think I used to go by "Miss Kat's friend in CA", but why be shy =)
Ha! Love the post...back in NC amongst some of our friends, we called that kind of detailed randomness "circling the airport!" Makes me laugh...and yes, there's nothing like a good salsa!!;0)
ReplyDeleteMinnie and Shelley- the big gas fight actually never really affected us, although we were wondering...
ReplyDeleteOh no, there was no salsa going to waste around here!
Deena- glad to 'meet' you! ;)
Heather- I'm best at circling the airport...it's my specialty