Monday, August 25, 2008

Brilliant and gorgeous

Having been in close proximity, both here and in Poland, with people from England, Ireland and Australia, I couldn't help but notice that their word choice is sometimes a bit different than mine. Like: boot, rubbish, bin, nappy, biscuit, tea for: car trunk, trash, garbage can, diaper, cookie, supper to mention a few. Hazel and Fergie use the word "brilliant" like we would "cool" or "neat"- not too difficult to gds. However, during clean-up at Barcelona, the young South Austrailian lady working beside me at the back of the diner conversationally told me Yes, Robert D he's been in our field and I think he's just gorgeous.

For a half second, there was dead silence; I'm pretty Sure. In this context, ''gorgeous'' must mean ''brilliant'' or "cool" or "neat... not, well "gorgeous". I nearly had to excuse myself to have a giggle.

9 comments:

  1. i've often experienced that, living in Paris and encountering english-speaking people from all over the world...differences in expressions and all, that's for sure! it does create funny misunderstandings sometimes ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for a good morning laugh! I would have had to excuse myself as well. hugs

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's hilarious! I like to say I'm tri-lingual since I speak English and American and French! ;-) But I have never heard gorgeous used for anything but well, gorgeous! ;-) !!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. well I'd like to comment here too, but at risk of sounding like a microsoft error message, maybe I should just say, "I don't know what to say"...but uhm ya, this language thing IS interesting. Like now my coworker understands everything I say to my mom and dad, a first for me since our language was always like a secret code we could resort to. And when you go into your other language you become another personality in a way...pass the Haldol!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I understand "exactly" what you mean!! Some words we use in American english you would never use in British english or vise versa... I will skip the examples! :) Thanks for the laugh...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I should add: my urge to giggle had nothing whatsoever to do with Mr Robert's looks... I guess you all got that. But really, I still get the giggles when I think of it. So I'm going to start saying Uncle Dan is just gorgeous... now I'm splitting my sides. (Duane if you read this, just ignore it... you'll feel better, I'm sure.) :)

    ps alleykat- haha! now you have to be careful! so what's this other personality of yours like?

    ReplyDelete
  7. hey world traveller, that isn't true! I remember in England, certain types of cheese are often labeled "gorgeous".....! ! ! he he. I like the description, myself. "That cheese was just GORGEOUS." ;-) Meaning, of course, taste and not looks. he he

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is hilarious!! Ah, yes, language...what a fun and interesting thing!:-)

    ReplyDelete