
Today is the end of the long Victory Day weekend (equivalent to Memorial Day). A day off for most people, so several of us went to the botanical gardens. When we were planning it yesterday, I don't think any of us quite believed Julie when she said we'd want to go earlier as opposed to later to avoid the crowds. I mean- the botanical gardens, right? How many people are going to be there???? well- we now know. And we are jolly glad we didn't go later than 11 am. goodness sakes. It was beautiful (in spite of the crowds). And spent with special people- you can't ask for more on a gorgeous late-spring day.
the entrance- dedicated to tulips

irises- possibly my favorite bulb


These looked
like peonies, smelled like peonies...
but I've never seen them before. On a bush that was far more permanent than your typical peony. If this dies down each fall, I'd be surprised; looked like a shrub.
magnolias

and a mystery flower among the vinca
and other beds and flowers and plants

But the stars of the whole show, by far, were the
lilacs; you could smell them everywhere.
There must be hundreds of them in there... 


there were just a few people there... just a few thousand...


and a man making beautiful music
The crowds flocking to the entrance were 5 times larger when we left than when we arrived. About a 20 min walk from the gardens to the metro; the sidewalks on both sides of the street were choked with people going the opposite direction the whole way... unreal. I've seldom seen similar crowds; it was like being at an amusement park. Seemed like a million of Kyiv's 5 million (or so) population was there today.
Looks like you've had some nice times lately...you loved those flowers for sure!! Wonder if K. is on the same latitudinal line as us..Lilacs weren't quite blooming yet in MN...
ReplyDeleteEnjoy your Spring!!
Oh, thank you thank you thank you!!!! I LOVE lilacs. Feel like I've had a little vacation already this morning and it makes me happy to see how much Ukrainians love their gardens!
ReplyDeleteSuch beautiful gardens. Me, too, with irises... they are such easy care for all around beauty. And I wish I could hear the busker playing there in the open air.
ReplyDeleteI recognize some of the people in the pictures.
ReplyDeleteI've been enjoying peeking in on your blog for awhile now. I think we've met in WI in yrs past. A common link we have is Chan and Deb ... we'll see them Wed. night!Thanks for all you share!! Linda & Rod
ReplyDeletethe gardens look great .. looks like a great time was had by all of you!
ReplyDeleteWhat a beautiful place! It is good to see so many people spending their holiday here, appreciating. Our lilac bush is beautiful this week.
ReplyDeleteethel- had to do some homework on this one! Kyiv is actually quite a bit further south- we are at 50 degrees, you're approx at 38, I think. The tilt of the earth also has an effect on the climate, when stuff blooms, etc, as do a host of other things. Interesting though... Now I'm wondering if this can all be right?
ReplyDeleteHi Della! Nice to see you again! :)
Linda- hi! I know your in-laws quite well, too. Glad if you enjoy the blog.
Jules- I love it that something like this is such a huge attraction. Refreshing.