Sunday, March 15, 2009

Dear Sally

I've been wanting to do this one for awhile! No pic of the actual subject but the tokens of her affection abound! First there was the clock. Cows are long-standing favorites of mine, having grown up on a dairy farm. Fred and Sally came to visit Alleykat and me a few years ago- kittykat got a travel chess set, as I recall... I got this pet. She works perfectly, ticks comfortingly and has travelled around a bit. For awhile she stayed behind down South- but when I found out she'd been banished to the kitchen because her comforting tick-tick-tick's aren't so comforting to everyone, I reclaimed her... and then sweet-talked someone else into taking her north to Kyiv this winter; we've been happily reunited for about 2 months now and she loves it here! ;)

Well then at some stage, F & S come again- and she voila's these yoga slippers out of her stuff- you know- did I want them? Well, if S gives you something, you want it. Just that simple! Slippers are a necessity here. It is written-in-stone law and tradition that you take your shoes off at the door whenever you enter a home. It's also tradition to provide guests with slippers... but not having a particular fondness for sticking my feet into the slippers of a hundred sweaty feet before me, I prefer to take my own around with me. These are perfect for the job- lightweight and roll-into-a-ballable. Alleykat calls them my 'poorly drawn cartoon character' slippers... they stick out in the front and the back. Come to think of it, they make me feel like Agnes- my new nearly-favorite comic strip.

And then there is this... this 2nd Cow From Sally... last summer. Isn't she sweet? For a long time, I didn't have anything to put into it... got a cactus- the first one ever- last fall and we've been having good times ever since... I assume, at any rate, since she looks so pleased with herself sitting there guarding my dictionaries...

2 comments:

  1. Dear Anita,
    Wow! Did I luck out! I have been shamelessly amiss in keeping up with your excellent blog and trying to find time to view all your past posts that I missed, and then tonight, our house guest, Laura B., discovers this post addressed to me!! I had forgotten about these gifts and there they are, smiling at me!! It made us sooooo lonesome for you and Ukraine!
    Also, coincidentally, Fred's brother had just invited him to join a March Madness thing which you mentioned in your next post. After I sign off here I'm going to read all the posts I missed. Lots of Love, Ukraine Jane and Freddie. :-)
    P.S. Today (the 16th) is Freddie's 68th birthday!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. f/b told me it was someone's bday (and I assumed F's) but you can't just be sure so now I know! Happy Bday Fred!!!

    ReplyDelete