Wednesday, October 8, 2008

fantastic bit of trivia for the day

(Really, it is fantastic... I mean, did YOU know this?)

Mace and Nutmeg are 2 spices made from the fruit of the same tree... Yup... and if you're making custard or pumpkin pie or are present where someone ELSE is doing this (and you're going to be one of the very fortunate eaters of said wonderful dish) you might be able to use this fantastic bit of trivia yourself...and wow their socks off, I'm sure! :)

Not only THAT, but nutmeg is toxic in high doses and a mild hallucinogen.

And then there's this amazing personal library- in my feed reader, from Kottke.org. Usually I just skim through this stuff, but this looked fascinating...and it was.

In other news- or rather a general comment... You guys who've been doing the yearbook thing: it's hilarious! I might try it...and I might or might not post the results... I'll say this much: You couldn't pay me to actually post a for-real 1989 pic of myself on here... oh my mercy no... ok, I had one Sr pic that was ok; mostly, though, I looked like the total nerd that I was...and I'm more than glad to be out of that time period! lol

9 comments:

  1. Another Birthday to share with you- Brian and Erin had #3 today- Logan Jacob- thought you might want to know :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay!!! You're right, I did want to know! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kin to Hilda - she's my husband's auntie. And you acknowledged that, so we're good! My great uncle was John Porterfield, don't know if you knew him... My parents are next door to AZ grounds. Happy fall wishes across the miles!

    ReplyDelete
  4. aren't you still a nerd? *wink* hehe

    ReplyDelete
  5. anita- right! I'd forgotten indeed!
    haha laura b- you're so right! Only now I'm comfortable in my 30-something year old nerd skin! xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're 30-something already??(wink, wink):-) Love the useful info on nutmeg...now I know that I just ate some tonight in pumpkin pie and I'll cross my fingers that it was a small dosage.;-) I'll let you know if I start hallucinating...oh, look at the pretty chicken!:-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. When you do that year book thing? Definitely need to be posting some pictures. I'll be waiting. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. p.s. I'm glad to be out of that time period, too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. hey heather- pg ladies should lay off nutmeg, I'm pretty sure! lol
    lani- I almost went to the yearbook thing tonight, but I'm tired...no guarantees on pic posting...depends on how healthy my self esteem at the moment is... lol

    ReplyDelete