Since you're probably sitting around wondering what we're eating these days, I'll just tell you (I mean, it's been awhile since one of THOSE posts).
Part 1: Trude made this for supper the other night. (Note: Ukr'ns love porridge type hot cereals and Cream of Wheat is one of many that we often get. The link is not for a breakfast food, though.) It was good and there was some of it leftover.
Yest, I boiled chicken (with the bones) with bay leaves, oregano, basil and thyme (liberally added), chicken bouillon, several garlic cloves and several med onions, quartered. Simmered it for about 5 hours. Quartered potatoes and chopped carrots and added them about 30 min before serving.
Now, the deal with chicken soup (in my opinion): it's good for sick people. But very hard to get it flavored in a lip-smacking YUMMY way. This rendition was OK but nothing to blog about (I'm laughing...hahaha).
We decided that the above 2 dishes might be pretty good heated up together. Also, we downloaded a bunch of Patricia Cornwell books which we read when we're on the road. Her main character does a bunch of cooking and makes chicken soup with wine.
Part 2: Started by pouring about 1/4 cup of rather aged red grape juice in a kettle, adding enough soup for 2 and then judiciously spooning in some of the semolina and heating it well.
Result: pretty good- the soup definitely had some zip this time! Interesting flavor. I'm doing the rest of the soup without the semolina but with just the rather aged red grape juice... that should be a winner.
Since you'll all soon have lots of leftover poultry...
speaking of: What ARE you all doing for Thanksgiving? There are no Americans within spitting distance (or even all night trains, for a change) who are interested in T'day with us so we're just going to be running around visiting people...which will be GREAT after nearly 2 weeks here in the bache... So, please, I implore you, eat some pumpkin pie for us and don't feel guilty! Those will be OUR calories and won't show at all...I'm pretty sure...
Can I eat some pecan pie for you, too? :-) I bet there are certain things you miss at certain times of the year.
ReplyDeleteHappy visiting!
Well, the fam on the hubby's side is going to be together, so I am doing some side dishes and staying out of everyone's way. Trying to keep the kids out of trouble will be fulltime enough! :-) But, fun for everyone and food for all. Thinking of you!
ReplyDeleteFunny that you 2 are the ones to comment! Yes, Julie- please eat some pecan pie, too! We only get that when someone brings pecans from America and the person that gets them gets big hearted and makes a pie and you just happen to be there...that is usually Sharon Accola...
ReplyDeleteHey Anita! We are all heading to mom's for Thanksgiving this year. Should be fun...and chaotic :)
ReplyDeleteThinking of you and we love hearing from you!
Hey, i will try to eat some extra dessert for you!! looks like you could use some extra weight!! Ha ha, and in the process i hope to too. hope to call. Kdee
ReplyDeleteHappy Thanksgiving Anita! Wow, I bet there was a lot of pie eaten on your behalf today!!
ReplyDeleteHey happy thanksgiving... Gwen and Jennifer and Sarah and Ellen and Frances and I were all together at Lesters. :)the best pie was the french silk tho' not that the pumpkin was bad either :)
ReplyDeleteHope the visiting went well! (Ellen and Frannie just closed up a bach they've been in for about a month...)
good days to ya my twin :)
Well I ate 2 pieces of pumpkin pie & it was GREAT :)) Got to spend the day at home with Mom & Dad, and the brothers from the field just south of us. Didn't know how many more Thanksgivings I would get at 'home', so was nice to get this one. Just read thru some of your other blogs, and sounds like things are going about the usual ;) Think of all there.
ReplyDeleteHi there A & T, Thanks for the news! It's been good to hear. I've loved the pics from both of you. THANKS!!
ReplyDeleteToday was a special day. Well, all week was. I won't got into lots of details here, but today we had noon with Karen E at mom's. Along with 2 other ladies. Oh - it was sooo good to see Karen again and have a wee chat. Tomorrow night we see Duane H! Along with about 15 other people! Hmmm. I don't see any chats coming up there, but it'll be good to see his smiling face again! Too bad we're not having some mac and cheese!!
Loves to both,
PS - I have your b-day present here Anita. ONLY a month late! That's good for me lately!!
We went to my mom and dad's (Helen) ate lots of pie...we won't mention how much. Nolan wore papa out visiting the cows.
ReplyDeleteWe were @ mom's...yes there was lots of chaos with 5 little ones 3 and under. I think mom is still enjoying the sound of silence!:) Love hearing from you!
ReplyDeleteHey! Anteater!! We haven't taaken time to check in here ibn quite a while. but we did read a letter that your folks sent on, we got it when we came home from Kenda's where we were over Thanksgiving. The Pecan ie was real yummy. I think I had a piece for you too. You should see our two youngest grand kids!! Kenda's (Jacob is 11 months old. weighs 29 pounds and is really a lot of fun.And Jeremy and his wife have little Helena, she is 3 weeks old (tomorrow) but she looks to be much older. smiles on about every picture.
ReplyDeleteI'm sure Uncle Duane wouldn't brag this much about them kids so thought I better.
Good to hear of your activities. Keep encouraged!!
Ken